Town of Franklin Board Meetings
Regular Board Meeting - November 11, 2020
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:
Supervisor Dorothy Brown, Councilman Tom Bartiss, Councilman Richard Jarvis, Councilman Don Hamm and, Councilman Leo Demong
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT:
Doris Hamm, Lindy Ellis—Franklin County Legislator, Paul Blaine—Code Officer, Jacques DeMars—Highway Superintendent and Lauren LeFebvre—Town Clerk
CALL TO ORDER
Supervisor Brown called the 2021 Fiscal Budget and Fire Protection Budget to order at 5:30pm. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and the Town Clerk called the roll, noting the full board present.
PUBLIC COMMENT ON 2021 BUDGET-
Supervisor Brown closed the public hearing at 5:40 and called the regular meeting to order
Leg. Lindy Ellis-Lindy presented a letter from Timothy Johnson regarding the possible use of Kate Mountain Pavilion for winter skateboarding. The board found this to be favorable and requested more information from Mr. Johnson. Supervisor Brown appointed Councilman Demong to be the contact for the Town of Franklin. Leg. Ellis dicussed the need for a better response rate for the 2020 Census with Counciloman Jarvis. The Town is currently at 35%. They will continue to research other ways to provide accurate data for the Census
REVIEW/APPROVAL OF October 14, 2020 MINUTES
The minutes of October 14 were approved as presented. D.Jarvis-T.Bartiss m/s/p All Aye
APPROVAL OF CLAIMS
The board audited and approved the following claims:
|General Fund||Abstract 11||Claims 210-237||$307,215.15|
|Pre-Pay General||Abstract 11||Claims 38-39||$192.11|
|Highway Fund||Abstract 11||Claims 186-195||$26,616.66|
D.Hamm-D.Jarvis m/s/p -All Aye
SUPERVISOR'S REPORT: Balances on hand as of October 31, 2020
|Kt. Mt SRF||$2,057.74|
|Kate Mt. CLASS||$46,644.70|
|Cap Proj. HW||$49,138.22|
|Landfill Clos. CR|
|Capital Proj Bldg|
L.Demong-D.Hamm m/s/p-All Aye
CODE OFFICER'S REPORT - October 2020-Building Permints-7, Violations-0, Certificate of Occupancy-1, Inspections-13, Fees Collected-$2183.25
HIGHWAY SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT
- Plowed and sanded when needed
- Extensive work on a section of Goldsmith Road
- Ongoing beaver activity around town
- Town of St. Armand and Town of Saranac let us use their buildings several times to work on equipment
- Have submitted paperwork for reimbursements:
- CHIPS- $131,246.42
- Pave NY - $29,958.30
- Extreme Winter Recovery- $24,655.00
- The money should be deposited on 12/18/20
A. Adopt 2021 Town of Franklin Fiscal Budget
RESOLUTION #39 ADOPTION OF 2021 TOWN OF FRANKLIN FISCAL BUDGET
On a motion by Councilman Hamm, second by Councilman Jarvis, BE IT RESOLVED that the Town of Franklin Town Board does hereby adopt the 2021 Preliminary Budget as the 2021 Town of Franklin Final Budget.
Those Voting Aye:
Those Voting No: None
B. 2020-2023 Snow and Ice Contract
RESOLUTION #40 APPROVAL OF SNOW & ICE CONTRACT WITH FRANKLIN COUNTY
On a motion by Councilman Bartiss, second by Councilman Jarvis, BE IT RESOLVED that the Town of Franklin Town Board does hereby authorized Highway Superintendent DeMars to enter into and agreement with Franklin County for snow removal and sanding of Franklin County Roads in the Town of Franklin for the amount of $167,463.09 (2020-2021), $170,812.35 (2021-2022_ and $175,082.66 (2022-2023).
Those Voting Aye:
Those Voting No: None
C. RESOLUTION #41 AGREEMENT FOR THE EXPENDITURE OF HIGHWAY MONEYS
On a motion by Councilman Demong, second by Councilman Bartiss, BE IT RESOLVED that the Town of Franklin Town Board does hereby approve of the expenditure of up to $14,860.25 for Permanent Improvements to approximately .78 miles of Goldsmith Road.
Those Voting Aye:
Those Voting No: None
A. Garage Re-Build Update-Minutes of monthly meetings with AEDA have been emailed to board member and code officer. Delivery and installation of garage doors has been delayed. Currently, the delivery date is November 23 and installation to begin November 30.
B. DASNY-Final proof of site control paperwork has been forwarded to the Town's attorney.
C. CDBG-No update.
D. Waterfront Revitalization Grant-Supervisor Brown reported she has been informed by grant admininistrator, Melissa McManus, that the Town of Franklin wil be part of the grant's site design project. Supervisor Brown met with site designers at Kate Mountain Park. A plan for future improvements will be submitted to the Town in 2021.
E. Assemblyman Jones' Funding for Garage Re-Build -Supervisor Brown has been contacted by the NYS Ways & Means Committee and has provided the current figures for insurance reimbursements and expenditures in order to receive this funding. The funding, up to $500,000, will be reimbursed to the Town for expenses not covered by insurance.
A. Cemetery: Councilman Jarvis reported the committee will investigate possible drainage issues..
B. Recreation: The Committee submitted the following report:
Town of Franklin Recreation Committee Report, Nov. 11, 2020
DeBar Mt. Wild Forest Unit, Draft Unit Management Plan
a. As a follow-up to the September board meeting, I send an email to Robert Daley, DEC Region 5 Forester, on October 15, 2020 with 2 key messages:
1 - Encourage the DEC to complete long awaited draft of the unit management plan for public review soon.
2 - The board requests that the draft UMP propose a new trail up Kate Mt. and to establish the trailhead at the town’s Kate Mt. Park on NYS Route 3. In support of the recommendation, it was stated that the park provides existing gravel parking area, a porta-john and walking path on the park land. Further, the board discouraged the alternatives of Tyler and Sinkhole roads due to lack of existing facilities at the town park and concern for residents on the town roads with increased traffic.
b. The Oct 28 Environmental Notice Bulletin issued a public notice and request for public comment regarding a proposed 41 acre DeBar Pond day use area on the site of the existing lodge and improve access to recreation opportunities, including recreation hub information, which is part of the DeBar Mt unit in the Town of Duane. I wrote Mr. Daley another email asking for acknowledgement of the board interest in the draft UMP.
Mr. Daley responded by a Nov. 2 email stating in part: “We are working to finalize a public draft of the larger UMP and hope to have this ready for public review in the near future.” He further stated: “The Town of Franklin’s comments regarding trail access to
Kate Mountain, and integrating State trails with the Kate Mountain Park, have been considered and will be incorporated into our public draft of the management plan.
Otherwise, we hope to have our plan available soon. This will be a good time for the Town to provide additional comment.”
c. In the meeting package, is a brief one page summary inventory of existing recreational resources in the DeBar Mt. unit. Leo and I have made a list of further recommendations for the board consideration as further comments on the unit management plan to be provided to DEC.
Safe Use of Town Playground Equipment
I have posted the 3 metal signs recommended by NYMIR, town insurance company, regarding safe use of the playground equipment. One sign posted at the equipment behind the town hall, and signs posted at the equipment at Kate Mt. Park.
Franklin Outdoor Recreation group
The October 2020 town newsletter had an article seeking volunteers to help with the planning and developing outdoor recreational opportunities in town. To date, 5 people have expressed interest. We hope to repeat the request in the next newsletter.
DEBAR MT. UNIT MANAGEMENT PLAN, TOWN OF FRANKLIN
EXISTING RECREATION RESOURCES
HIKE, XC SKI, SNOWSHOE:
- Loon Lake Mt Trail: 3,279 ft elevation, 1600 ft. ascent, 2.8 miles one way, 40 ft firetower in disrepair
- D&H Rail Trail: 4 miles level, part of Bloomingdale Bog, part of county snowmobile trail C7B
Bike & Snowmobile:
- D&H Rail Trail: see above description
- Kushaqua Rail Trail: 1.3 miles, part of county snowmobile trail system
Paddle & Boat:
- Lakes: Kushaqua, Rainbow, Buck
- 7 primitive sites along Kushaqua-Mud Pond Road corridor
- Kushaqua, Buck, Duck, Hope, Little Hope, Sumner, Negro, Two Bridge
FRANKLIN TOWN BOARD COMMENTS to DEC PREPARATION OF DRAFT UNIT MANAGEMENT PLAN
- High priority for new trail up Kate Mt. (elevation 3,279 ft), with trailhead at town’s Kate Mt. Park to utilize existing parking, porta-john, and trail.
- Recreation Hub at Kate Mt. Park on NYS Route 3, to provide public information regarding forest preserve and conservation easement lands in the Town of Franklin, similar to hub proposed at DeBar Pond Day Use Area.
- Loon Lake Mt. Trail, last 0.25 mile section of trail before summit, needs improved grade (re-routing) and drainage.
- Loon Lake Mt. trailhead- add composting outhouse in suitable soils
- Need signs and appropriate facilities at the 7 primitive campsites on Kushaqua-Mud Pond Rd
- D&H Rail Trail- add on map that Bigelow Rd is seasonally maintained, gravel road, bridge out
- Kushaqua Rail Trail map: add “day use” facilities to Buck Pond Campground, boat launch & parking area.
- Little Haystack Mt (elevation 2101 ft) – re-route trail at very steep and eroded section and add to appropriate maps for unit.
- Consider new trail on Baldface Mt. (elevation 2867 ft) from proposed DeBar Pond day use area
- Improve hand boat launch near bridge across Rainbow-Kushaqua & Mud Pond Rd and its 2 primitive campsites
- In future, restore Loon Lake Mt. firetower
- Provide public with opportunity to comment on draft UMP, hopefully to be issued soon
- Franklin board appreciates opportunity to consult and to be a partner with DEC on these important recreation resources in the Town of Franklin
The Town Board approved the committee's submission of comments to DEC with respect to the Preparation of the DeBar Unit Manangment Plan Draft
(D.Hamm-T.Bartiss m/s/p) all aye
C. Newsletter-Town Clerk Lauren LeFebvre thanked Missy Begor for her work on the newsletter. The next issued to scheduled to be sent before Christmas.
There being no further business to discuss, Supervisor Brown adjourned the meeting at 6:15pm.
Respectfully submitted, Lauren LeFebvre, Town Clerk