Town of Franklin Board Meetings
MONTHLY TOWN BOARD MEETING
September 10, 2014 - 7:00
Board members present:
Supervisor Arthur P. Willman, Jr.
Councilman Donald Hamm
Councilman Clifford Smalley
Councilman Tom Bartiss
Councilman Allen Berg
Highway Superintendent Jacques DeMars, Doris Hamm, Jon MacDowell, Ed Martin, John O'Neil and Town Clerk Lauren LeFebvre
1. CALL TO ORDER.
Supervisor Willman called the meeting to order at 7pm. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and the Town Clerk called the roll, noting the full board was present.
2. REVIEW/APPROVAL OF AUGUST 13 MINUTES
The minutes were approved as presented. (C.Smalley-A.Berg m/s/p) ALL AYE
3. APPROVAL OF CLAIMS The board audited and approved payment of the following:
|General Fund||Claims 193-207||$2202.34|
|Highway Fund||Claims 138-158||$249,051.58|
|Pre-Pay General||Claims 23-25||$1622.25
Motion to pay claims (A.Berg-C.Smalley m/s/p) ALL AYE
4. SUPERVISOR'S REPORT.
Balances on hand as of August 31, 2014
|Kate MT. SRF||$7997.58|
| ||Cap. Proj. Hwy.||$46,543.24|
|LANDFILL CLOSURE CAP RES||Checking||$8634.78|
|CAPITAL PROJ BLDG||CLASS||$25,447.80|
(C.Smalley-T.Bartiss m/s/p) ALL AYE.
5. HIGHWAY REPORT
A. Superintendent's Report-Superintendent DeMars read the following report:
- Franklin Falls Hill Rd.- paved, waiting on shoulder machine.
- Alder Brook Rd. - paved, waiting on shoulder machine.
- The paving of both roads was completed with the assistance of Franklin County paving crew, Towns of: Bangor, Bellmont, Black Brook(Clinton County), Bombay, Brighton, Constable, Ft. Covington, Harrietstown, Malone, Moira, Saranac, St. Armand and Tupper Lake, as well as the Village of Saranac Lake.
- Budget paperwork has been started and should be completed soon.
- Application for Franklin Falls Hill culvert has been sent to the Army Corps of Engineers.
- Alder Brook culvert- has been delivered and we have begun to put it together.
- Patched over culverts on Fletcher Farm Rd and Alder Brook Rd.
- Fuel, gas and maintenance reports have been given to the Highway Committee.
Superintendent DeMars resubmitted the following request:
To: Town of Franklin Town Board (Art, Cliff, Al, Don and Tom)
I believe that there has been an oversight by The Town Board on funding of the Capital Improvement line of the Highway budget, DA5112.2
In 2013 the amount of money that was funded by CHIPS rose from $128,370.18 to
$164.004.75 an increase of $35,634.57.
The budget line DA5112.2 does not reflect the increase that "CHIPS" has provided.
I am respectfully requesting that the Board take the correct action to remedy this situation. Also be advised that we rolled over an additional $10,623.05 which should also be placed in Line DA5112.2 If my calculations are correct:
35,634.57 CHIPS increase
Jacques J. DeMars
Supervisor Willman stated the $35,634 is reflected in the budget under Additional Revenue Consolidated State Aid. Superintendent DeMars has spoken with the Comptrollers Office and was informed this could be done by resolution. He also stated if the board chooses not to transfer the additional funds into DA5112.2 he wants to be sure it is reflected properly in the 2015 budget. Supervisor Willman will discuss this with the Budget Officer.
- Councilman Bartiss moved, second by Councilman Smalley, to transfer the funds to DA5112.2 from DB3501 if the transfer is necessary at this time. All voted in favor. A roll call vote was not taken.
B. Highway Committee Report- The impact of logging trucks on recently paved roads was discussed as was the need to build up culvert cuts by the Baltzly property.
C. Questions and Comments- Supervisor Willman conveyed Father Beyette's thanks for the work being done in Loon Lake.
6. NEW BUSINESS
A. Pole Barn Bids-The Town Clerk stated she received 3 bids for the project. Supervisor Willman opened and read aloud the following:
- Duffy Builders $45,000
- O'Neil Contracting $41,500
- Biondo Construction $29,355
Resolution #30 Accept the Bid Submitted by Biondo Construction
On a motion by Councilman Berg, second by Councilman Smalley, BE IT RESOLVED that the Town of Franklin Town Board does hereby accept the lowest bid of $29,355 from Biondo Construction, Malone NY for the construction of a Pole Barn at the Highway
Garage. ALL AYE.
B. Pole Barn Materials Quotes - Supervisor Willman will be in contact with those who submitted quotes.
C. CDBG Policies and Procedures Manual
Resolution #31 To Increase the per Project Threshold from $20,000 to $25,000
A motion was made by Councilman Smalley and Seconded by Councilman Berg, to amend the Policies and Procedures Manual for the Office for Community Renewal Community Development Block Grant project #416HR34-13 Housing Rehabilitation Program to increase the upper per-project cost threshold from $20,000 to $25,000, to be consistent with the OCR per-project limit and the original program application for funds. ALL AYE.
D. Truck Oneida Contract - Supervisor Willman reported that Superintendent DeMars has been made aware of a 2015 International 7600 Tandem with Dump and Plow Equipment currently in production and available through a NYS/Oneida County Contract in the amount of $204,148.00. Clark's Truck Center has offered the Town $45,000 to trade in the 2005 Tandem which would bring the price down to $158,364.00.
7. OLD BUSINESS
A. Update 3-Bay Sink - Supervisor Willman stated the sink was shipped on 9/8, Dave Snickles has been contacted to install it.
B. Veteran's Memorial - Councilman Berg reported the information to purchase a plaque was provided to the board at the August meeting. Supervisor Willman will follow up on this.
C. Update Veteran's Names in Town Hall - Councilman Berg reported he was informed by Town Historian Kevin Ransom that he is unable to obtain the names of WWII veterans buried outside the Town of Franklin. Residents Jon MacDowell and Ed Martin volunteered to assist with this project. Supervisor Willman appointed Councilman Berg, Jon MacDowell and Ed Martin to serve as a Veteran's Committee.
D. Attorney for the Town Update - Supervisor Willman reported he has been unable to speak with Janet Bliss.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS.
A. Cemetery - Drainage problem at Union Cemetery on Route 3 has not been addressed.
B. Celebration - Pumpkin Heave and Autumn Leaves Festival 10/18.
9. OCTOBER/NOVEMBER MEETING SCHEDULE
The board approved the following meeting schedule:
- October 6 12pm Special Meeting-distribution of 2015 Tentative Budget.
- October 8 7pm Regular Meeting
- October 15 6:30pm Budget Workshop (General Fund)
- October 22 6:30pm Budget Workshop (Highway Fund)
- November 12 6:30pm 2015 Budget Public Hearing
- November 12 (immediately following hearing) Board Meeting
DECEMBER 2014-APRIL 2015 REGULAR BOARD MEETING TIME MOVES TO 5:30PM
There being no further business before the board, Supervisor Willman adjourned the meeting at 8:23pm
Respectfully submitted, Lauren LeFebvre, Town Clerk