The Oxbow is located in Alder Brook on Rock Street in the Town of Franklin, near the St. Rose Cemetery. It was built in 1942 by Maurice A. Van Brunt of spruce logs for use as a summer camp and is on its original site. The Oxbow is an ell shaped one story building. There is an attached shed and a bunkhouse on the back of the cabin. A detached matching log garage sits along the side of the cabin. The logs are varnished and chinked with oakum. Asphalt shingles are used for the roofing material on a gabled roof. Windows are the casement types with a large picture window in front of the cabin. The surroundings are open land and woodland, which face Whiteface Mountain and the Saranac River, a superb view. The property consists of 106 acres.
The interior of the Oxbow is one large room, divided off into two bedrooms, and a bathroom by an ell. A kitchen, with its own separate fieldstone chimney is attached. The dining area is set off by an arrangement of furniture. There is a loft over the bedrooms, which serves as extra sleeping quarters. A bunkhouse is attached on the back of the Oxbow and is used as extra bedrooms. There is a large field stone fireplace in the main cabin.
When the oxbow was originally built, it was powered by a Delco System, as the local utility company did not have power on this part of Rock Street. Since that time, residents may have electricity brought to their property, if they are willing to pay the costs. The Oxbow is now electrified and has a complete water and sewerage system.
Oxbow Log Cabin - Back Side of Fireplace
Oxbow Log Cabin - Fireplace
The Oxbow land history is as follows:
1856 - History starts out in 1856 with Thomas Leonard owning 50 acres of land in the S. W. corner of Lot 29, part of which was sold to John Littlejohn by Deed, April 26, 1856. A portion of this same Lot 29 was sold to Catherine Leonard who married Dennis McGrath.
1860 - John Littlejohn sold 6 acres (Lot 29) to Michael Doyle (Liber 110 - Page 124)
1860 - John Duncan acquired some of the land, and he sold parcels in 1865 (Liber 40 - Page 261) and 1868 (Liber 46 Page - 586)
1875 -Duncan heirs sold 4 acres to Michael Doyle (Liber 110 Page - 125)
1884 - Barnettt sold 55 acres part of northwest Lot 30 to Dennis McGrath.
1895 - McGrath sold parcels to Keegan.
1900 - Latour sold to O'Donnell
1908 - Keegan to O'Donnell (Liber 136 - Page 519)
1941 - O'Donnell to Eggert and Van Brunt, 6.5 acres. (Liber 190 -Page 381) (Liber 233 - Page 283)
1949 - Wallace, Executrix for O'Donnell, sold to Keese. (Liber 293 Page 333)
1953 - VanBrunt sold to Foss & Irwin. (Liber 336 page 203)
1959 - Foss & Irwin sold to Rapecis. (Liber 387 - Page 15)
1969 - Keese sold 100 acres to Rapecis. (Liber 442 - Page 1065)