The former stagecoach stop, now know as the Kent home, was built in 1852 for Hugh Flack, the recipient of a grant from Gerrit Smith of 200 acres of land in the County of Franklin in lot 118 by deed, recorded October 13, 1848. Gerrit Smith, an American reformer and philanthropist, was born in Utica, New York on March 6, 1797 and died in 1874. He was a friend and advocate of the famous John Brown. Gerrit Smith favored anti-slavery and became an opponent of land monopoly and gave numerous farms of 50 acres to indigent families.
The house is located on the south side of Sorrell Street, just before the junction of what is now known as Fletcher farm Road and Sorrell Street (now known as Cold Brook Road). A gabled metal roof with a center chimney is in good repair. There is a vestibule or porch at the main entrance with windows and doors, which protects the interior of the home from weather. The house is a two-story clapboard wood frame with double hung-windows. A detached garage was added later.
The old landmark is on its original site and has been renovated extensively, but maintains its integrity. The present owner, Mr. Tom Kent, has modernized, but preserved the old features of the original house. During the renovations, he found that the year the house was built was scribed on a hidden board. The name of John Steney was uncovered; who may have been the early builder for Mr. Flack.
Mr. Hugh Flack, the original owner, was born in 1791 and died December 10, 1867, and is buried in the Union Cemetery in Vermontville, N. Y. as well as his son, Wm. M. Flack who was killed during the Civil War on April 8, 1861 at age 22 years. After Mr. Hugh Flack's death, the property went to his son, Daniel Flack on July 14, 1875.
Original Wide Floor Boards
Steep Pitched Stairway
The owners after Mr. Flack are as follows: Oren Bromley was next in line of ownership, by a sheriff's sale, December 24, 1878, Oren Bromley to John J.McKillip in August 1880., John J. McKillip to Charles P. McKillip May 8, 1897., Charles P. McKillip to Mary Ann McKillip June 27, 1899, Daniel D. McKillip and Catherine McKillip December 14, 1936, Frank N. Machabee, Commissioner 1936 '- 1948, John & Lucia Norman 1948 '- 1963, John & Shirley Treptow 1963 '- 1976, Herbert & Jean Stickney 1963 '- 1981, Tom & Ann Marie Kent 1984 who are present owners.
The property has been subdivided since Mr. Flack's original grant of 200 acres, which now leaves a parcel of 42 acres in Mr. Kent's parcel.